Monday, August 19, 2013

Needlework Alone

Alas, my friendship did not blossom after all.  I was so looking forward to having that companionship.  However, my parish started a new ministry - making items for babies who pass away through stillbirth or in the NICU.  This is the very type of ministry I discovered when I learned to knit.  It is exactly the thing I was interested in starting myself.  I didn't initiate this project, however.  I did begin when the group began.  We meet once a month.  The fellowship over needlework is amazing.  I am not energized to take on more needlework; I'm busy enough with my own boys.  I am, however, keeping my interest in needlework.  I was at a nadir in my work.  I had had enough with falling asleep in my chair, with my work in hand.  If it were not for this ministry, I might have set it aside for a long time, especially without the new friendship.

It's not quite what I imagined it would be - that I'd take on the whole project and lead it.  Now that I am one of the women there, I see that was too ambitious at this phase in my life.  The current leader is a recent widow, and needed this work to deal with her grief.  I can appreciate the gift I have participating in something I've cared about for seven years.  It took me awhile to find just the right avenue, but I am grateful at the opportunity to give in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment